Vyatta NOS supports both software and hardware forwarding platforms.
This platform combines flexible management with a high-grade control plane that allows easy integration into existing or new network deployments.
The vRouter provides a high performance-to-cost ratio. It runs on low-cost general purpose x86 hardware with off-the-shelf network interface cards. It can also run as a Virtual Network Function (VNF) in a public or private cloud.
It offers the following:
- Flexibility, through a choice of CLI, REST, SNMP and NETCONF/YANG features
- Easy integration into an existing or new network deployment, through the telco grade control plane
The vRouter includes a high-performance user-mode data plane which supports the following:
- Builds on top of the Intel DPDK and poll-mode drivers, to give optimal performance
- Supports a rich set of features suitable for environments that range from customer-premises equipment (CPE) through to data center deployments
This virtual network function (VNF) platform has all of the benefits of the vRouter, but combines it with a VNF hypervisor so that you can run local VNFs.
The ability to run local VNFs means that the device can offer a wider range of functions at a reduced cost, latency and bandwidth requirements, in comparison to a remote VNF in a private or public cloud.
The VNF platform provides the following:
- Supports foundation networking services, and eliminates the need to have at least one VNF in a multi-service design
- Eliminates the need for manual provisioning by supporting zero-touch deployment for the on-premise VNF platform
- Automates configuration and software updates and allows service providers to scale services as required
- Maximizes VNF packet forwarding performance, as it uses the high performance Intel DPDK poll-mode drivers to talk to the VNFs
- Uses NETCONF to support the VNF life cycle, service chains, and further configuration
The UfiSpace S9500-30XS platform is a high performance, versatile whitebox switch/router that makes use of the Broadcom StrataDNX application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) switch chips. It was designed to meet the needs of backhaul transport requirements as Telcos make the transition from legacy technologies to 5G.
Benefits of using Vyatta NOS on UfiSpace S9500-30XS include the following:
- Separation of software and hardware, so that each can be upgraded independently, in contrast to devices from traditional network vendors
- Use of whitebox switches/routers allows cost optimizations and, in some cases, open designs for a competitive marketplace
- A high performance, low-cost solution with a range of functions that you can easily integrate into existing or new use cases in the network
Physical Universal CPE Platform
This virtualized customer-premises equipment (CPE) platform combines the benefits of the VNF platform with high port density and a rich set of features, to produce a solution that is ideally suited to CPE use cases.
A virtualized CPE platform provides network services such as routing, firewall security and virtual private network (VPN) connectivity through unified software rather than through separate hardware devices.
This means that service providers can do the following:
- Configure and manage these devices remotely
- Enable customers to extend existing services or order new ones on demand
This dramatically simplifies and accelerates service delivery.
The Physical Universal CPE Platform includes a VNF hypervisor. This allows you to run VNFs locally, on the platform. Benefits include the following:
- Flexibility in up-link encapsulations
- Opportunities to deploy VNFs as close to the edge as possible, for flexible network designs and to allow providers to offer customers a choice of services
The platform offers a range of options to suit port and VNF scale requirements:
- V150 — extra small
- V250 — small
- V450 — medium
- V850 — large