About this guide
This guide helps you to identify and solve common problems that you might experience while you use Vyatta Network Operating System (NOS).
General information on how to troubleshoot networking issues is widely available — but we want to help you to identify and fix the most likely problems in the context of Vyatta as fast as possible.
So, this guide provides basic but Vyatta-specific guidance on how to troubleshoot your system. Depending on the exact nature of your system and the problem, you may also need to refer to other documentation that is relevant and specific to your system.
Your overall method to troubleshoot problems under Vyatta should be like this:
- Before you spend a lot of effort to investigate, verify that the problem really does exist.
- Define the problem clearly: Aim for a one-sentence problem statement.
- Identify a time frame during which the problem was experienced.
- Check for changes that were made shortly before that time frame.
- Verify basic connectivity at Layer 1 to Layer 3.
- Review documentation that is specific to the part of the system that you are investigating.
- Review the output of commands that are specific to the features of that part of the system.
- Review the system logs that were created in the time frame you identified.