Launch an instance into the private subnet
This section details how to launch any instance into the private subnet.
Now that the 10.0.1.0/24 private subnet has been defined, we can launch an instance into it. Although the following example shows how to launch another Vyatta AMI instance, any instance type can be launched. For this example, it is assumed that the Vyatta AMI is obtained from the EC2 Console, but it could also be obtained from the AWS Marketplace.
To launch a Vyatta AMI instance into the private subnet
- Click EC2 on the AWS Management Console Home page. The Amazon EC2 Console Dashboard page appears.
- In the left navigation pane, select AMIs. The Amazon Machine Images page opens on the right.
- In the Viewing field, select Private images and specify vyatta‐ami as the search string. Vyatta AMIs are listed.
- Select a Vyatta AMI and click Launch at the top of the Amazon Machine Images page. The Request Instances Wizard starts at the Instance Details step.
- Select m4.large/xlarge as the instance type and click Configure Instance Details.
- On the Configure Instance details page, select VPC.
- In the Subnet field, select the 10.0.1.0/24 subnet to which to attach the instance.
- In the IP Address field, enter 10.0.1.20 and click Add Storage. The Storage Device Configuration page opens.
- If you want to change the size of the storage device that is associated with the instance, click Edit. In most cases, this is not necessary. Click Tag Instance. You can tag EC2 resources, if required. Click Configure Security Group.
- Select an existing security group or create a new one. Click Review and Launch.
- Select Choose from your existing Key Pairs and select an existing key pair from the Your existing Key Pairs drop‐down list.
- Click Launch Instances
- To view the status of the newly launched instance, select Instances on the left navigation pane within the EC2 tab.