Creating the Vyatta NOS virtual machine
How to create the Vyatta NOS virtual machine using Hyper-V.
After a copy of the vRouter VHD is created on the Hyper-V machine, you can create a virtual machine from it.
To create a vRouter virtual machine:
- Within Hyper-V Manager, select the Hyper-V server to which you wish to add the new virtual machine.
- From the Action menu, select to start the New Virtual Machine Wizard.The Before You Begin screen is displayed.
- Click Next to create a virtual machine with a custom configuration.The Specify Name and Location screen is displayed.
- On the Specify Name and Location screen, specify a name for the virtual machine that you are going to create.
- Click Next.The Specify Generation screen is displayed.
- On the Specify Generation screen, select either Generation 1 or Generation 2 and click Next.The Assign Memory screen is displayed.
- On the Assign Memory screen, specify the amount of memory that is required for the virtual machine. A minimum of 2 GB is recommended.
- Click Next.The Configure Networking screen is displayed.
- Click Next to create a virtual machine with a custom configuration.
- On the Configure Networking screen, specify the virtual network to use.
- Click Next.The Connect Virtual Hard Disk screen is displayed.
- On the Connect Virtual Hard Disk screen, select Use an existing virtual hard disk and browse to the copy of the Vyatta router VHD that you created.
- Click Next.The Completing the New Virtual Machine Wizard screen is displayed.
- On the Completing the New Virtual Machine Wizard screen, confirm that the information that you provided is correct.
- Click Finish.The new virtual machine is created and is displayed in the list of virtual machines in Hyper-V Manager.
- Configure the number of virtual processors for the Virtual Machine.Counter-intuitively this is done after initial Virtual Machine creation. Click on Processor in the left-hand margin and select the number needed for your installation. The data plane supports is from 1 to 128 CPUs. For optimum performance, three processors for each NIC plus one for the control plane is recommended.
- Start the router virtual machine.It boots as an image-based system from the virtual hard disk.
- Test the installation.Refer to the next sections.